Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1/4 of the way there!!

I made it through my first semester of Dental Hygiene school!!! 1/4th of the way there! It was the best feeling! It was definitely one of the hardest things that I have ever done. I learned so much, not just about dental hygiene. And I made great friends. It really kept me busy. I felt like it took over my life...I woke up early, studied, left for class around 12, ate dinner on the run and made it to clinic from 5-9.  As hard as it was to keep up with all the work and stress, I really did enjoy it. I really believe I made the right decision for this field. Although I am still fully enjoying every moment of my time off=no stress and no studying, I am excited for next semester. I will start seeing real patients! 
 These are my 19 classmates and friends. We have every class together for two years...so we better like each other :) It really is great having each other for support.

Practicing.
 We worked on each other as patients most of the nights, just didn't get any pictures of that. 
We had the opportunity to go to an elementary school and teach 100 sixth graders about oral hygiene. They loved it and they were so smart. Then we helped them teach 100 first graders. I really loved it. It was so fun teaching them things that will really benefit their health and their lives. 

That is what I love about what I am learning...It isn't just about teeth. It is about the overall health of people. It is amazing how I have learned how oral health really affects the whole body and so many diseases can be related to it. I love learning how to help others. And I am looking forward to getting to know and care for many patients. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Laurisa! I wish you were in Utah so I could have you do my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sister ! i love your post! you look soooo cute in scrubs and with those dentures haha:) im so proud of you!!!!! keep blogging;) xo !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are loving it, that is one of your many talents, your sister and brothers and parents have that special talent also. Love the journey. You are amazing and a great example! Congradulations, I would like to be your first patient, maybe you could come to the Phillipines!. I told Justin I go to the dentist that has a good hygenis t (sp) The dentist we have no has a terrible one, we will change when we get home. Love you

    ReplyDelete